Hatfield-McCoy Trail Safety Rules
Hatfield-McCoy Trail Rules and Regulations
set forth by the West Virginia State Legislature HB 4488, 20-14-8
1. User permit required for all drivers and passengers
2.Everyone must wear a DOT or Snell approved helmet and eye protection
3. All operators and passengers must meet manufacturer’s minimum age and size requirements
4. No one under the age of 6 is allowed on the trails under any circumstances
5. Any operator or passenger under the age of 16 must be under the direct
supervision and within eyesight of their parent or guardian at all times
6. Obey all signs, gates and barriers, stay on marked trails
7. Trails only open during daylight hours
8. No littering, No camping, No fires
9. No alcohol may be consumed or possessed
10. No glass containers of any kind
11. Be aware of oncoming traffic, particularly in blind curves and hills
12. No competitions of speed, endurance or climbing
ability allowed at any time without a special use permit
13. Operate at reasonable speeds and under control at all times
14. All machines must be equipped with a properly
functioning muffler and USFS approved spark arrestor
The driver and passengers of a UTV must:
1. Wear helmets (DOT or SNELL approved)
2. Wear seat belts at all times; the number of passengers
is limited to the number of factory installed seat belts.
3. Keep their hands, arms, feet, head and legs inside the vehicle at all times during operation.
4. No booster seats or car seats are allowed
5. Possess a valid owner’s manual for the machine being
operated that is able to be produced upon request.
6. Stay on designated trails. UTVs are permitted on easiest,
more difficult, and select most difficult trails (signed accordingly).
7. UTVs must be equipped with a steering wheel and low pressure tires.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Hatfield-McCoy Trails have received praise from Dirt Wheels Magazine,
UTV Action Magazine, as well as television features on the
All Hatfield-McCoy Trails are open 365 days a year from half an hour before
sunrise until half an hour after sunset. Experience all four seasons in the mountains!
One permit gives you access to over 1000 miles of trails for a full calendar year.
You can ride to gas stations, restaurants, lodging, trailheads and more in our ATV-friendly towns.
The Hatfield-McCoy Trail
in West Virginia
At Almost Heaven ATVv/vUTV RESORT RENTALS, we have the perfect ATV Lodge
for you to stay at! Located conveniently only 1 mile from Warrior Trail and 2 miles from the trail connector to the Pinnacle Creek Trail in Welch, WV!
Please come and visit Welch, WV and stay at our beautiful ATV Lodge Rental.
~ Mark and Debbie
ATVv/vUTV RESORT RENTALS
Why book with us?
People say the nicest things...
"We had the best time ever! We loved riding the Hatfield-McCoy Trail in Welch, WV!
The people of Welch are so down to earth and welcoming.
We will definitely be coming back!"